CWU in Virginia Shares the Common Goals of the National Movement
1. We intend to grow in our faith and to extend our vision of what it means to be Christian women of faith in society today by:
- drawing upon the power of the Spirit within;
- praying for direction and power for the task;
- growing in understanding of the theological bases for addressing critical social issues;
- developing as women a sense of our own identity and potential with men for leadership in church and society;
- intensifying our commitment to individual witness and corporate action and;
- challenging women to be in mission in new, exciting and effective ways.
2. We intend to strengthen visible ecumenical community by:
- expanding opportunities for women to feel the joy and power of unity in Christ through participation in ecumenical action,
- celebrations and development;
- increasing appreciation and respect for diversity by including women of all ages, lifestyles, socioeconomic groups, racial
- and ethnic backgrounds, and Christian traditions;
- strengthening Church Women United through building units as covenental communities, working together in mutual
- support and trust by sharing responsibility for the direction and action of the movement; and
- recognizing and using the power and strength of women working together.
3. We intend to work for a just, peaceful and caring society by:
developing an understanding of our responsibilities as members of the global community;
increasing awareness of the interrelatedness and interdependence of all God's creation;
becoming informed about current national and global social issues and identifying with Christian women in every
part of the world in the mutual responsibility for all humankind;
- strengthening critical thinking and making intentional choices;
- understanding the impact of American foreign policy on other nations and influencing those policies.
- combating social injustice through increasing sensitivity and effective response to human needs and aspirations;
- expanding awareness of the forms and causes of individual and systemic injustice, including racism, sexism, classism and ageism;
- encouraging healing encounters in areas of tension due to racial and economic injustice;
- becoming advocates for those who suffer injustice;
- working for a more just social, economic and political order;
- recognizing our own involvement in social injustice and holding ourselves accountable for social justice within our own movement; and
- committing ourselves to be peace builders.
4. We intend to use responsibly and
creatively, the resources God has entrusted to us - our
intelligence, time, energy, our money as we carry
out Christ's mission through Church Women United by:
- responding in gratitude to the gifts God has given us by responsibly sharing and managing our individual and corporate resources; and,
- exploring the theological bases for
stewardship as an integral part of our mission.